Brass quintet emphasizes value of live music

Marshall+faculty+perform+as+a+quintet+Wednesday+in+Smith+Recital+Hall.+Performers+include+Steven+Trinkle+%28trumpet%29%2C+left%2C+Stephen+Lawson+%28French+horn%29%2C+George+Palton+%28tuba%29%2C+Michael+Stroeher+%28trombone%29+and++Martin+Saunders+%28trumpet%29.++

Kaitlyn Clay

Marshall faculty perform as a quintet Wednesday in Smith Recital Hall. Performers include Steven Trinkle (trumpet), left, Stephen Lawson (French horn), George Palton (tuba), Michael Stroeher (trombone) and Martin Saunders (trumpet).

The Marshall University Faculty Brass Quintet performed Wednesday at Smith Recital Hall.

Members of the quintet included Martin Saunders and Steven Trinkle on trumpet, Stephen Lawson on horn, Micheal Stroeher on trombone and George Palton on tuba.

The faculty performed numbers from the 1900s, mainly arranged by Lawson.

Trinkle, performer for 60 years and director of bands, said there are many reasons to get students out to these performances.

“Our public in the United States has gotten to the point where all they do is listen to recordings,” Trinkle said. “You listen to music that has been done in a recording studio. This is live music.”

Marshall student Hannah Reeseman said this is a music style she personally enjoys.

“This is actually the first show I have had time to see this semester,” Reeseman said. “This is the type of music I love to listen to when I study or right before I go to sleep because it just relaxes me, so I’m glad I finally got to come to one.”

Trinkle said he believes this music needs to be pushed to more than just college students.

“I get grants to travel and perform, Trinkle said. “I get to go into various communities. There’s an enormous need for these kinds of performances to be in every community, not just on the university level. More people go to the opera than they do the NFL, but everyone else needs to start to see this culture.”

Performances will continue throughout the rest of the semester at the Jomie Jazz Center and Smith Music Hall.

Kaitlyn Clay can be contacted at [email protected].