MEET THE PRESIDENT

Welcome reception brings Interim President and students, faculty together

More stories from By Amy Napier

Marshall University students, faculty and staff gathered in the John Deaver Drinko Library Friday to welcome
Interim President Gary White and his wife Jo Ann to the university.
The Whites made themselves known to each of their guests, who consisted of both old and new faces.
Dorothy Hicks, a former Marshall athletic director and friend of the family, said she was not the only one who is happy to see White appointed.
“Many people told me he should be the one appointed,” Hicks said. “And that just shows the caliber of a person he is.”
Senior biology major, Kyle Sebastian, said he really enjoyed the opportunity to meet the new president face-to-face.
“It was very uplifting to see everyone gathered together in such a positive atmosphere,” Sebastian said. “I think this really showed a strong sense of community, and President White was just really pleasant to speak with.”

It was very uplifting to see everyone gathered together in such a positive atmosphere

— Kyle Sebastian, senior

White was appointed to the position after President Stephen J. Kopp died unexpectedly Dec. 17, 2014.
“It’s a learning experience,” White said. “We are very pleased, though, to be here and in a position to help the community.”
The Whites are currently living on campus in the Freshman North dormitory until they can find a permanent
home in Huntington.
White is a Marshall alumnus and has a Regents Bachelor of Arts degree. White said this opportunity has given him the chance to reconnect with the campus.’
“It’s still just as beautiful, and I consider it to be very safe,” White said.
He also served on the university’s Board of Governors, which is one of the several committees he will be working with in the upcoming presidential search.
White will not be eligible for the permanent presidential position because of his current role.
He expects the process to last approximately six to nine months.
Amy Napier can be contacted at [email protected].