The student news site of Marshall University

Filed under NEWS, Showcase

W.Va. becomes 29th state to pass medical cannabis law

Gov. Jim Justice signed the Medical Cannabis Act (Senate Bill 386).  The Governor was joined for the bill signing by two of the initiative’s primary supporters, Sen. Richard Ojeda and Del. Mike Pushkin.

Gov. Jim Justice signed the Medical Cannabis Act (Senate Bill 386). The Governor was joined for the bill signing by two of the initiative’s primary supporters, Sen. Richard Ojeda and Del. Mike Pushkin.

Via Office of the Governor

Via Office of the Governor

The regular legislative session might have come to an end, but the work seems to be far from over as Gov. Jim Justice continues to sign or veto bills.

The governor held a press conference last week about his veto of the budget bill, HB 2018, but that is not the only bill that has been before him.

Justice posted on his Twitter account Tuesday how he signed 25 bills alone that day.

Justice spoke during a press conference at the capitol Wednesday, as he signed the medical cannabis bill, creating a new law in West Virginia.

There was a ceremonial signing for the bill, as West Virginia became the 29th state to pass this type of law allowing the use of medical cannabis, according to a press release by the governor.

The release details how Justice was joined by some of the legislative leaders that pushed for the bill to be passed.

Among the legislators present was Sen. Richard Ojeda, D-Logan, and Del. Mike Pushkin, D-Kanawha, according to the release.

The text of SB 386 includes “under limited conditions, the use, possession, growing, processing and dispensing of cannabis for serious medical conditions.”

Justice discussed his reason for support of SB 386 in his press release.

“How could you turn your back on a loved one who is suffering? This is a vehicle for our doctors to help the people,” Justice said in the release.

Justice spoke during the signing of the bill of how this was a bipartisan effort that he believes will benefit the people of West Virginia.

“The voice of the people was heard on this one. Medical Cannabis means compassion for West Virginians w/ a serious illness,” Justice said in a post on his Twitter.

According to the press release the bill will allow usage of medical cannabis for terminally ill West Virginians, and those who suffer from other health conditions like post-traumatic stress disorder and cancer.

The entire list of bills signed and vetoed by the governor can be found on his official website.

Kylee Hurley can be contacted at [email protected]