The student news site of Marshall University

Filed under OPINION

Editorial: ‘My Brother, My Brother and Me’ brings positive exposure to Huntington

(From left) Travis McElroy, Justin McElroy and Griffin McElroy. (Seeso TV | Screenshot)

Lately, Facebook and Twitter have been buzzing about “My Brother, My Brother and Me,” a comedy advice podcast turned original Seeso production. “MBMBaM,” the abbreviated title, stars Huntington natives Justin McElroy, Travis McElroy and Griffin McElroy and premiered Feb. 23 on NBCUniversal’s subscription streaming service.

People have been raving and ranting about the McElroy brothers and their various goofs around downtown Huntington, including Mayor Steve Williams’ role as a sort of shenanigans protector, keeping the brothers in check but allowing some small hijinks here and there. The comedy is great and the brothers are at peak form throughout the six-episode-long first season; it’s unscripted, follows the podcast’s original format and introduces new bits effortlessly.

One of the coolest things about “MBMBaM” on Seeso is also one of the simplest: exposure.

The McElroy brothers’ show, whether intentional or not, acts as a platform for Huntington to really get an idea across — Huntington is way more than drug abuse and crime.

We see Justin, Travis and Griffin bolster their resume by working at various spots on 4th Avenue like Rio Grande, Paula Vega Cupcakes and Bow Love, return to Huntington High School to help a teacher learn to connect with her s

tudents better and be completely “in charge” of Safety Town, a small city built to teach children how to properly obey traffic signals. McElroy father extraordinaire, one of the stars of “Adventure Zone” and Huntington celebrity, Clint McElroy, makes an appearance every episode, meeting with the brothers to help them develop ideas or to offer a bit of advice in solving questions. Even chief of police Joe Ciccarelli makes an appearance.

The point is, the McElroy brothers are actively changing the rhetoric and perception around Huntington. Instead of focusing on the city as “the city who saw 26 opioid overdoes in less than four hours,” we can start viewing Huntington as this big, goofy, welcoming place — a place where you can most definitely throw a parade to celebrate tarantulas, survey a dorm room for its hauntedness and search for secret societies.

Flipping the Jewel City’s narrative is good not only for the city, but for all of its citizens, too. Oftentimes, West Virginians are portrayed in a negative light when they’re featured in, really, any type of media — think Jesco White, or that video of an unfortunately backwards individual at a Chili Festival in Mt. Hope, whose thirst could only be quenched by a two-liter of Mountain Dew.

Instead of outsiders viewing West Virginians as backward, ignorant and hateful, “MBMBaM” may afford them the opportunity to see us how we truly are, hard-working, fun-loving people — not just stereotypes.

1 Comment

One Response to “Editorial: ‘My Brother, My Brother and Me’ brings positive exposure to Huntington”

1. alan simmons on March 5th, 2017 2:43 pm

Huntington boys making good!

[Reply]

• Editorial: ‘My Brother, My Brother and Me’ brings positive exposure to Huntington

NEWS

Manchin makes stop in Huntington for health care town hall

Baseball

Herd baseball earn victory, close series with UTSA

Baseball

Thundering Herd baseball split double-header with UTSA

• MUTV

Marshall names new women’s basketball coach

NEWS

Justice discusses budget proposals at infrastructure lecture

NEWS

Student body president, VP election debate

Showcase

Matt Daniel resigns as women’s basketball coach

Conference USA Tournament

Clock strikes midnight on Herd’s magical season as MTSU repeats as C-USA champs

Conference USA Tournament

Cinderella story Herd romp into C-USA Title game with upset of La. Tech

Conference USA Tournament

Elmore’s free throw helps Herd sneak past ODU in C-USA quarterfinals