Herd Holiday promotes Christmas spirit

Hannah Sayre, Reporter

Students, faculty, staff and members of the Huntington community were invited to attend A Herd Holiday Tuesday at the Memorial Student Center.
The evening began with the lighting of the plaza by Marshall University President Stephen J. Kopp and his wife Jane assisted by Mr. and Miss Marshall 2014, Cam Lyons and Morgan Wright.
There were many events the evening had to offer including a holiday photo with Marco, a hot chocolate and S’mores bar, ornament painting sponsored by the Pottery Place, a gingerbread house building competition, letters to Santa, INTO Marshall holidays around the world and extended shopping hours in the MU bookstore.
Kopp said he was glad there was an activity for everyone to do.
“People began lining up for activities like the ornament painting, letters to Santa and a picture with Marco before the event started,” Kopp said. “This is the first year for an event like this where everyone in the community, not just student and faculty, have been invited. I think this will make for an even greater turn out next year.”
A Herd Holiday was sponsored by MU communications, the campus activities board, MU student activities, and the Pottery Place.
Student Body President Duncan Waugaman said this is a great event because it is not exclusive to the university, which allows Marshall to connect with Huntington and the surrounding areas.
“This is very good community outreach for our university,” Waugaman said, “and a great way to get in the Christmas spirit and also get everyone fired up for the C-USA championship on Saturday.”
Hannah Sayre can be contacted at [email protected].