State Ballet Theater of Russia shows its skills to the community

The State Ballet Theater of Russia hosted an informational master class Tuesday afternoon at the Joan C. Edwards Playhouse.

Twenty aspiring ballerinas gathered to be guided by the instructor from the State Ballet Theater of Russia. The class gave the ballerinas the opportunity to hone their skills with the help of actual dancers from the company.

“It was different from other master classes. It was fast paced,” Katie Fulks of Huntington High School and ballet student at the master class said. “I loved watching the dancers from the company.”

Madison Erwin, Keystone National High School student and ballet student at the master class said, “The master class was more involved than others.”

Both Katie Fulks and Madison Erwin are ballet students of the Art Center School of Dance in Huntington.

The dancers from the State Ballet Theater of Russia helped every participant and gave them all a piece of advice. The class ended with each student leaping across the stage in pairs to review what they learned throughout their time in class.

The dancers from the theater had a busy day, because just hours after the master class they all went on to give a wonderful performance of “Cinderella” at the Keith-Albee Theater at 7 p.m. in downtown Huntington.