Students make connections at MU Volunteer Fair

Classes, homework and friends can keep a student busy, but Marshall University encouraged students to volunteer for organizations in and around campus with a Volunteer Fair Wednesday.

“We do this twice a year to give students a chance to meet with the different agencies and get involved in the community and on Marshall’s campus,” Coordinator of Community Engagement Elizabeth Sheets said. “The organizations need volunteers and Marshall’s campus is a great pool for volunteers.”

Organizations such as Big Brothers Big Sisters, Habitat for Humanity, Circle K and several others attended the event in hopes of recruiting students to volunteer in areas that spark their interest and fit their goals.

“We always need volunteers at Big Brothers Big Sisters, especially students,” said Amy Brewer, Enrollment and Match Support Specialist for Big Brothers Big Sisters. “Some of these students are at risk of dropping out of school, so it’s great to get Marshall students who can mentor them and show them that they can eventually go to college.”

According to Sheets, the fair hosts fewer organizations in the spring than in the fall, but still receives a good amount of interest from students trying to make connections.

“I think they benefit because students get connected to organizations, the organizations get connected with the students,” Sheets said. “It teaches you leadership skills, and you get to connect with others with the same goals and ideas and it keeps you busy, motivated and giving back.”

Big Brother Big Sisters attend the fair every time it is hosted, but during this fair, they were searching for male volunteers to pair with the students who are on a growing waiting list.

“We desperately need big brothers,” said Brewer. “We have a lot of boys on our waiting list, probably have about 50 little brothers who need big brothers and really need role models.”

Students who are interested in volunteering, but do not know where to start can sign-up in the Community Engagement office in the student center.

Heather Barker can be contacted at [email protected].