Marshall students relieve stress, through chess

Marshall University students with a desire to play chess can now join other students and faculty.

David McDowell, the club’s original president, started in 2015 in response to the Marshall University Rec Center discontinuing its chess club tournaments.

David wanted to respond to the cancellation by providing “chess-enthusiastic,” students with a different place to turn to.

The Marshall University chess club has now started back up for its second year, this semester. Allowing both newcomers and also novice chess players to come together and appreciate the game.

“I have always played chess more casually so I like that [the chess club] is not strictly competitive,” said sophomore, Dustin Muncy.

Students who enjoy the club and the game of chess can expand their appreciation and take on the competitive side of the game by competing in a tournament through the West Virginia Chess Association.

The club not only gives participating students a chance to hone in their skills but also to meet new people and make new friends.

As well as students who love chess, the club is open to faculty and students who just want a platform for meeting new people as well.

“It is important to have a chess club to help allow students who love chess to be able to play against each other for fun and to make new friends and meet new people,” said chess club President, Sapphire Atkinson.

This semester the cub will be meeting on Saturdays at 2 p.m. in room 341 of the John Deaver Drinko Library on campus. Their first day back was Jan. 14 and it is planned to continue throughout the semester as the number of involved students begins to increase and awareness of the club spreads further.

Ryan Murphy can be contacted at [email protected]