Free yoga workshop relieves stress before finals

Marshall University students learned ways to release stress during dead week at the free yoga workshop at the Memorial Student Center Wednesday as part of Stress Relief Week.

Jennifer Brown, program manager for internships and experiential learning at Career Services, said having these activities where students can go and have fun kind of break up the day a little, making it easier for them in the long run.

“While it’s important to study and focus, it’s nice for students to be able to have a release,” she said. “If you’re focusing too much on one thing at a time, it actually makes it harder to remember.”

A yoga instructor from Studio A taught students different kinds of body movements they can do for stress release, like ways to relax their shoulders.

Mary Bunten, a junior biotechnology major, said she has been really stressed out, but she tries to finish as strong as she can and yoga is just one of the methods she’s using to relax and workout her muscles.

“I was really excited when I saw this because it’s a great way for students who either don’t have the money to go to classes like this or the means to go off campus,” Bunten said. “It’s a great way for us to come together as a community and really release some stress and get through our finals as healthy as possible.”

Modelling clay and study tips were given out at the end of the class for students to bring home something tangible to assist them with their preparation for finals week.

The Stress Relief Week will also be having aqua massage beds Thursday at noon in the MSC and game night at 6 p.m in BE5.

Kessyl Lim can be contacted at [email protected].