Career Services Etiquette Dinner Wednesday

Career Services at Marshall University’s annual Fall Etiquette Dinner will take place Wednesday.

The dinner will feature Terri Thomson, an etiquette consultant, who will offer her professional business etiquette tips for handling meal-time interviews and networking events. Thomson started the companies Etiquette in Action and Swizzle Stick Speaking, and has helped many people develop professional etiquette and personal communication skills.

“The event is a four course meal and, through each course, Thompson will teach etiquette such as what utensils to use when, how to eat some of the food, where to place your napkin and what to do if you have to sneeze during the meal,” Jennifer Brown, a representative from Career Services, said.

There are two seating times available at two different locations for the dinner in order to accommodate more students. The first is 4:30 p.m. in the Shawkey Room and the other is 6:30 p.m. in room BE-5, both in the Memorial Student Center. The Shawkey Room doors open at 4 p.m. and BE-5’s doors open at 6 p.m.

Debby Stoler, assistant director for Development and Outreach at Career Services, said that all Marshall students may attend, however juniors, seniors and graduate students are especially encouraged to attend. The skills they will learn at the event are skills they will need to know in the near future as they apply for internships and jobs.

Formal dress is required to attend the event in order to properly educate during the dinner.

Brown said Career Services is a referral for places such as Hire for Attire and Dress for Success if students are in need of appropriate attire for the event.

Brown said another etiquette dinner is taking place next semester for students who miss the one in October or wish to refine their skills at the dinner table.

Noah Gillispie can be contacted at [email protected].