Behind the Veil: The Herd in hijab

T’Asia Rankin, Malak Khader, Caralee Casto and Suzann Al-Qawasmi showcase hijabs on the Memorial Student Center plaza during Behind the Veil in an effort to embrace multicultural awareness at Marshall University Monday.
Submitted Photo

Marshall University students learned how to put on hijabs during Behind the Veil, a cultural awareness event that took place in the Memorial Student Center Monday.

The idea for the event came from T’Asia Rankin, senior athletic training major and the single member of Mu Sigma Upsilon sorority, the only multicultural sorority on Marshall’s campus.

“I think it’s important because people aren’t very educated about hijabs,” Rankin said. “They don’t understand the meaning behind them or why people choose to be modest. We try to bring multicultural awareness to campus.”

Malak Khader, vice president of the Muslim Student Association, said members of MSA have partnered with the Mu Sigma Upsilon Sorority for hijab events in the past.

“Because they’re a multicultural sorority, they touch on different cultures and ethnicities and show the good everyone has to offer,” Khader said. “A lot of people think Muslim women are oppressed and don’t realize it’s empowering to wear a hijab.”

Scarves for the event were provided by members of MSA and allowed students to experience life from the point of view of a Muslim woman.

“It challenges people to get to know you off of your intellectual personality instead of looks,” Khader said. “People make snap judgements about appearance, even when you’re covered. I have my hair and my beauty that I reserve for only people I want to see it and having that decision is empowering.”

Although Behind the Veil was created as a way to focus on members of the Muslim community, Mu Sigma Upsilon Sorority has sponsored various events in the past, such as informational sessions about the sorority, a suicide prevention walk with Sigma Tau Gamma, a back to school bash, community service cleanup with Alpha Phi Alpha and participating in hazing prevention week, in addition to suicide awareness events with To Write Love on Her Arms, which Rankin said is an organization dedicated to mental illness and suicide prevention.

“I try to keep events to a minimum, things I can do myself,” Rankin said. “It’s a lot of work trying to run an organization that usually has around 100 people by myself.”

While Rankin is currently the only member of her sorority, she said she still plans to have events. Future events include a bake sale, a“bra pong” fundraiser to spread awareness for breast cancer in October, an open mic night and an oral swab drive for people to become bone marrow donors in November.

The next Mu Sigma Upsilon interest meeting will be Tuesday at 7 p.m. in the Memorial Student Center resource conference center.

Olivia Zarilla can be contacted at [email protected].