Black United Students organize sex education event, “Wrap it Up Wednesday”

Black United Students organized “Wrap it Up Wednesday,” an event about sex education, Wednesday in the Shawkey room in the Memorial Student Center.

Director of Student Health Education Programs Amy Saunders was the guest speaker for the event.

“They should be in charge of their health and making decisions and thinking about ways to prevent illness and disease,” said Saunders. “I think this was a great event for that because they asked a lot of good questions and that made me excited to be here.”

The presentation explained different sexually transmitted diseases, how to prevent them and ways to treat them. During the presentation Saunders encouraged the audience to ask questions and want to learn more.

“I loved all the questions that everybody had. It really lets you know that even as 19 and 20-year-olds we don’t know everything about HIV and STDS,” said BUS President Alexis Tyson. “So I’m really glad that everyone had good questions to ask.”

After the presentation, students played “the Condom Game.” The game was pulled up on a monitor and students had to put the steps of putting on a condom in order like a puzzle. The students also played sex education bingo.

“We felt like it was important for all students to know and be aware of safe sex and the negatives that can come from sex,” said Secretary of BUS Heather Thomas. “Its’s not just about having a good time and they should be aware of what’s going on.”

At the end of the event, members took home gift bags with information about the clinics in Huntington, condoms and other toiletries.

Monica Zalaznik can be reached at [email protected].