INTO Center helps students get American driver’s licenses

The INTO program at Marshall offers numerous programs for its students and one of them is the driver’s license program. The program offers students information and aid in obtaining an American driver’s license.

“The students show a need and a want for this program, they are going to be here for a certain amount of time,” said INTO Center Student Events Coordinator Kenny Jones. “Some of them are used to driving in their home countries and that is something they want to continue doing, because not all of them enjoy walking everywhere or taking the bus.”

The first part of the process is getting an application for a driver’s license or photo ID card and an application to file for a social security number. Both of these applications can be found at the INTO center front desk.

The student must then get proof of residence. If the student lives off campus they may use water, electricity or gas bills. If the student lives on campus they may go to the Housing and Residence Life office in Holderby Hall to receive a letter proving the applicant lives in West Virginia and on Marshall’s campus.

The student will also need a letter from the CIP office in Old Main stating the student is in good standing and attending Marshall. This letter is valid for 30 days.

“The public transportation in West Virginia is not very good and I live off campus,” said INTO student Tianyu Zhai.  “And I cook for myself, so it’s hard when I need to just go buy food to cook with, but I can’t get anywhere.”

The student must then go to the Social Security office at 301 9th St. to apply for a Social Security number. The office may deny the applicant, but the student should keep the letter of denial in order to get their driver’s license. Waiting for the letter may take two or three weeks.

After all of this paperwork has been filled out, turned in and then returned, the applicant must complete the I-94 form at the DMV’s website. Students may then take their visa and passport to the DMV to take their permit test.

To take the test, the applicant must have a car, with the owner present, with insurance. The applicant cannot rent a car for the test.

“I think the process of getting the license is a little difficult,” said INTO student Deep Patel. “But it is going to be worth it to have my own license and then get my own car.”

Monica Zalaznik can be reached at [email protected].