Department of Sociology and Anthropology to host “Works in Progress Series”

A “Works in Progress Series” hosted by the Department of Sociology and Anthropology will have its first gathering Friday at 1 p.m. in Drinko Library. This is the series’ third year of presentations and peer review.

Brian Hoey, professor in the Department of Sociology and Anthropology, said the series is a forum where people can come together from all over the university, share their research, test their presentation skills and get some constructive criticism. The series features many faculty projects, as well as student capstones and grad school projects.

Originally the series stemmed from an activity that the Anthropology Club had done exclusively, but Hoey had a larger dream for the project. Hoey said he envisioned it as a place where students could receive a new perspective on their work through a diverse and constructive audience and critical, yet positive review.

“Frankly, the student’s reviews are the most helpful because they get it from the student’s perspective,” Hoey said.

There is still faculty feedback, but less of it, as Hoey explained that students get a lot of feedback from faculty in other contexts.

Those who wish to present their research for review must submit it to the Marshall University Department of Sociology and Anthropology website for promotional and scheduling reasons. Hoey said that not many get turned down, but there is an application process to ensure that the series can be prestigious and worthwhile.

Hoey encouraged students to attend, as it will show students how to present well, no matter what college they are from, in a welcoming environment.

Some of the previous presentations have been on gender identity, transgender individuals and community activism in Huntington and elsewhere through the Appalachian region. Hoey said the presentations can really be an inspirational message on making the world a better place.

The “Works in Progress Series” will be held Sept. 9, Oct. 14, Oct. 28 and Nov. 11 at 1 p.m. in Drinko Library room 402.

Noah Gillispie can be contacted at [email protected].